Ah, THERE YOU ARE. Good. You have found me once again in the grip of my nefarious altar-ego, when I am, (through no fault of my own, I swear it!) my “alternate” self: the highly inscrutable (quasi-pseudo) Dr. Karameos Zachary Similkemeen, shadowy figure of mystery and intrigue. Good thing you’ve stumbled upon my monumental mental venture: KPKworld! An amusement park for the mind, it’s an online portal to opinion, delight, befuddlement and with any luck, a smidgeon of insight on the side.
Yes! An enema for the mind! A feast for the funny bone! A meal for your Muse!
Yes. Why not? Yes!
* * * FRESH MORSELS PUBLISHED DAILY! * * *
NEW FOR 2014: POEMS FROM A TURBULENT YEAR: a new poem-a-day venture that functions as a companion piece to “1980″, my first poem-a-day project. KPKworld will unleash all 365 poems I wrote throughout 2014, in sequential order- exactly a year from the date I wrote them. The poems from 2013 are frankly much darker than the kind of thing I would like to be writing, but Life is what it is. They tell the truth of the times. Can’t lie in poetry. Gotta tell it like it is. Happily, there’s a good deal of love and humor and inspiration peppered among the apocalyptic rantings of a grumpy misanthropic malcontent…
It’s some fun, you bet!
> RECENT UPGRADE: More images are being added to old posts, since my photography channel SHUTTERBUG‘S DELIGHT was expanded, due to the pleasantly enthusiastic response.
A Friendly Reminder:
THE GOOD DOCTOR STILL SEEKS CONTRIBUTIONS FOR UPCOMING “GUESTBOOK” OFFERINGS. Want to see YOUR poem/anecdote/joke/short story/rumination posted here? Submit your material for review at email@example.com! No guarantees, but I’d love to hear from you.
> Roam the main avenues and more well-travelled tributaries, or take a more leisurely safari through the back alleys of KPKworld, to discover a wealth of nascent nooks and quaint crannies to delight and fascinate the inquisitive mind. This literary and visual blog offers FOURTEEN distinct channels to suit every eccentric taste. Behold!
- TALES FROM A WINDBAG (Share bittersweet, often humorous remembrances culled from the off-kilter autobiographical monologues of KPK.)
- ME, TROLL (Fresh prose, haiku and free verse from the pen of KPKeelan, ON HIATUS until 2015 to make room for:)
- 2013: POEMS FROM A TURBULENT YEAR (The new batch. My freshest stuff.)
- WHAT, ME BLOVIATE? (Here you will find pointed social criticism, salacious slander, outrageous opinions, common sense, left-wing hooey & ridiculous rants.)
- QUIET IN THE BACK! (KPK on the Cinema features compiled monthly film reviews, commentary and useful lists for the tasteful cinaste. The new series Netpix Pix provides specific suggestions for great films that often go unnoticed in a crowded media market.)
- IRISH RAMBLINGS (Excerpts from my travelogue: “MY IRISH DIARIES: Travels Through Ireland, North and South”, for lovers of Irish people and Celtic culture.)
- SHUTTERBUG’S DELIGHT (Original PHOTOGRAPHY from the lens of KPK, posted regularly to delight your corneas and stimulate your rods and cones.)
- TASTY TIDBITS (The asylum for Weirdoes, Kooks and Oddballs, a place where jokes and lies take shape without warning and spontaneously combust!)
- GUESTBOOK (A forum for collaborations and the linguistic musings of guest writers, poets and other prophetic liars and lying prophets.)
- PITHY PIFFLE (Marvel over notable quotes and quotable notes compiled for your rumination, edification and stupidifacation.)
- SCRABBLE, ANYONE? (Useful lists for word gamers and my fellow lovers of our Anguish Languish.)
- “1980″ (367 poems written in 1980 and published here without molestation, as a window into the clueless arrogance of youth.)
- The WEEKLY QUERY (An interactive feature posing interesting questions for your thoughtful consideration.)
Read some! Enjoy them! Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts before reentering mundane reality.
Enjoy your visit to KPKworld. Carpe diem, I say! Seize the day. We may not live to share another one.
- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -
Okay. You perked my interest. What now? Where do I begin?
It depends. Like poetry? Though certainly not my best, ME, TROLL has always been my flagship poem because it deals directly with the KPK dualistic identity thang. See what you think:
But now KPKworld has it’s own manifesto poem! Voila:
Curious about traveling in Ireland? Try this:
Want to know more about my lifestory? Why not begin at the beginning?
People tend to be most interested in the most recent cinema news and reviews, so this is a current posting in QUIET IN THE BACK!:
Want to know where I’m coming from aesthetically? What am I passionate about? This is the gateway to my poetic soul:
… or just read on, for the Layman’s Guide to KPKworld.
* * *
WHAT, ME BLOVIATE? #A-1:
“WHY BLOG?” (My Inaugural Cybercolumn)
> I told a friend I was planning to finally publish a blog. He surprised me by asking, in essence: WHY BLOG? Good question!
. With the unrelenting and unteneble background noise of information overload, in an age when few people have the time to stop and tie their shoes- who’s going to find my lonely voice crying from the wilderness? And if they do stumble upon it, will they ever find the time to sit down and actually READ it?
. Very doubtful really.
. But all my adult life I’ve wanted to be a daily newspaper columnist. Now, with newspapers all but going extinct, and all the media buzz about the blogosphere, there really doesn’t seem to be anywhere else to turn. All my life I’ve been the kind of human that feels the personal choices for him are clear and unambiguoius:
. COMMUNICATE OR DIE.
. So what if no one is listening? I don’t really write for other people- though if they want to come along for the ride they are humbly welcomed and appreciated. I have always had so much going on inside me that it feels as though my head will burst if I don’t let some of it out.
. So consider this a safety-valve, letting off enough of that inner steam to keep me from an ugly explosion that nobody wants…
. I first dabbled in blogging on my Myspace page over a year ago, but received so little feedback, my enthusiasm waned and I stopped posting entries. (I kept writing of course, just not publicly.) I hope to get a lot more response on WordPress. It would be so gratifying to me if you can find it in your heart (and on your calendar) to read my blogs in “KPKworld” from time to time. It’s free! I have great confidence it will be fun, as I am a notoriously outspoken loudmouth with a splendiferous vocabulary, and a baffling lack of fear of being exposed as the simpleton he is. It’s gripping! One never knows when this foot might wind up deep in this mouth! Could happen anytime. It’s like watching a train wreck about to happen. You can’t look away.
. Please feel free to offer your much-desired feedback. You can tell the truth. I’m a big boy. (At least on the outside.)
. And let me know if you have a blog that I should be reading. I believe in an (unfortunately) imaginary community of artists and sensitive souls who work actively and eagerly to support each other’s pursuit of their own personal muse. (A beautiful lie I choose to embrace.) My blissful fantasy for the future? We all take personal responsibility to make this pipe-dream a working reality!
. Blogging is like dipping your toes into immortality. Someday- maybe soon- my body will turn back to dust, but my thoughts will live on, squirreled-away on some obscure server somewhere for the futurefolk to contemplate. It’s a humbling prospect for a human but an exciting possibility for a writer.
. Please let me know if you have feedback, suggestions, constructive criticism or wish to submit material for publication on KPKworld.
Thanks for the wonderful support Universe. You’re swell. Live long and prosper!
© Kevin Paul Keelan and lastcre8iveiconoclast 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Kevin Paul Keelan and lastcre8iveiconoclast with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.